Stephensons Rocket

philip_bullin2

The models which come with the magazines do not work, they are simply ornanments. If all you want is a Rocket to sit on a mantelpiece buy a plastic kit from Dapol and spend an hour or so building and painting it, it is much more satisfying and cheaper in the long run. 

• 7 months later...

Looks like your wish came true Phillip. 

I too have been in search of a accurate and well detailed working model of this famous loco. Even considered buying the O gauge kit, but thankfully, Hornby have come to the rescue and it appears to have been a total success. I just managed to secure one of the limited edition sets. Well done Hornby.

Not wanting to break any Forum rules, but already someone has jumped on the train of opportunity to commission the 3rd class carriage that will go with this wonderful set. I have placed my order for two.

• 1 month later...

Having bought the production version (rather than tge limited edition) I am glad to see the range being increased. 

I do hope this is the start of production of Era 1 locos and rolling stock - a "Lion" would be most welcome!

Or better still as an adopted Man of Kent/Kentish Man (I have lived BOTH sides of the Medway!) with a daughter who is by birth a "Fair Maid of Kent" how about a version of "Invicta" to celebrate Hornby's home county? 

But thank you for this one, anyway! 

"Invicta" was contemporary to "Rocket" and built at the same time and in the same works in Newcastle.

The Canterbury and Whitstable railway used rope working for much of its length.  "Invicta" was used to move traffic from Whitstable to Church Street at first, but proved inadequate. It was replaced by horses until a new winding engine could be built. It ended up working only on the level section between Bogshole and Church Street, just over a mile. The rest of the line was either worked by rope or by horses (or by gravity).

"Invicta" as preserved is however in much better condition (more complete) than "Rocket" which was rebuilt  by the Liverpool and Manchester Railway and then sold to the Brampton Railway in Cumberland.

Originally very similar to "Rocket" with a seperate firebox and a multiple tube fire tube boiler. However it was later rebuilt in 1836 with a single flue tube more like "Locomotion", which was a retrograde step,  This proved unsuccesful and it was withdrawn and placed in store in 1839.

The line was leased by the South Eastern Railway in 1845 and purchased in 1853. They worked it with their own locomotives from 1846.

• 1 month later...