No right turn

Robinofoakle

Both my Loco's A4 William Whitelaw, A1 Flying Scotsman are a bit like Derek Zoolander in that the don't do right hand turns/curves. They will run for hours anticlockwise/left curves but right hand they struggle

A1 - stutters at 4 certain places on the layout

A4 - Bogie dismounts frequently - again at a couple of certain points

R3 curves

neither of them do the same thing or their particular thing in the same places.

Anyone else having this problem and got to the bottom of it?

My hunch is t here's some kind of asymmetry build bug going on here. I suspect it's related to the front bogies (yes I have removed the black tape)

Has anyone experimented with weighting the bogies?

They really shouldn't be this fussy- they are model trains after all. I shouldn't have to feel like I need to engineer to the tolerances of a NASA mission.

I would just speak to Hornby and return it with an explanation of the problem. The front pony truck/bogies seem susceptible to various issues that we shouldn’t have to be sorting out ourselves. My Flying Scotsman was returned within 10 days.

The more models that are returned to Hornby with these issues, the more likely they’ll be to sort out a permanent fix.

I have made some observations on the issue of derailing front bogies previously and also from others.

Check the front of the bogie is not fouling the inner of the front cowling an A4s, check there is not an excess of flash on the casting, if needed remove the front ‘irons’

Check the location and angle of the front truck mounting bracket, and check the spring and washer assembly.

It’s also worth checking the wheel gauging on the front truck. 10.5mm back to back is ideal

My initial thoughts are that the is some fouling going on

Hi

for the A1, would it be worth looking at the wiper pickups, to see if they are adjusted properly? It’s possible that if you push the axle one way, the pickups lose contact, hence the stuttering. Just a thought.

Following on from GMD’s comment on the pick ups, test you are getting connection from both loco and tender by lifting one clear of rails (while powered) loco should keep running. Can’t emphasise track and wheel cleanliness enough. New track often has quite a bit of grease on it, from Manufacturing and the us handling it, wheels and pick ups can be contaminated by oil from mech or just general dirt.